Live Sound 101: An Introduction for Beginners
Ever been handed a microphone, pointed toward a mixing console, and told, “You're running sound today”?
Congratulations! You may have just become the live sound guy. Whether you're helping out at church, volunteering for a community theater, working with a band, or running sound for another organization, there's a good chance you learned by jumping in and figuring things out as you went.
That's exactly why I created Live Sound 101.
This eight-video series is designed for beginners and hobbyists who want to understand the fundamentals of live audio without feeling overwhelmed by technical jargon. We'll cover the equipment, the terminology, and the practical skills you need to get better results in the real world.
What You'll Learn
Live sound is about much more than turning knobs until everything gets loud. In this series, we'll explore topics including:
Mixing and gain structure: Getting the right levels and building a clean signal path.
Microphones and DI boxes: Understanding how to connect performers and instruments to a sound system.
Amplification and speakers: Learning how audio gets from the mixing console to the audience.
Buses and submixes: Understanding how to organize and control multiple audio signals.
Analog versus digital audio: Exploring the differences between the two approaches.
Wireless technology: Understanding the basics of wireless audio systems.
Real-world troubleshooting: Working through the challenges that show up when you're actually running sound.
The goal isn't to bury you in theory. It's to give you bite-sized lessons you can revisit whenever you need them, along with practical advice you can apply at your next event.
The Secret Weapon of a Good Sound Engineer
Here's something I can't emphasize enough: learn to listen critically.
Your ears are your most important tools as a live sound engineer. You need to hear how instruments interact, how vocals sit in the mix, and how the room changes what the audience hears.
It's one thing to understand the theory behind equalization, levels, and gain structure. It's another thing entirely to stand behind the console during soundcheck and figure out why the mix isn't working.
Listening is a skill. Like any other skill, it takes practice.
I also encourage sound engineers to learn a little about performing themselves. You don't have to become a virtuoso, but learning an instrument, singing, or experiencing what it's like to perform in front of an audience can help you understand the musicians you're mixing.
The sound engineer is often described as an extra member of the band. There's a lot of truth to that. A good mix supports the performers; a bad one can work against them.
Who Is BigNate84?
Fair question. Who is this guy, and why should you listen to him?
My live sound journey began around 2000 when I was playing bass in a band called Unauthorized Use. I was also the guy setting up the mixer, and I learned a lot through trial and error.
Eventually, I decided to study sound professionally and earned a bachelor's degree in Sound Recording Technology from the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
After college, I worked as a stagehand on large-scale productions featuring artists including the Goo Goo Dolls, Dave Matthews Band, Tom Petty, Def Leppard, Nine Inch Nails, Steely Dan, and John Mayer. That experience gave me a valuable look at how sound systems and live productions work behind the scenes.
I also worked some professional front-of-house engineering gigs and continued doing live sound in a volunteer capacity at my local church.
These days, I enjoy sharing what I've learned through practical how-to videos. My goal is to make technical subjects approachable and help people build confidence through understanding.
Recommended Reading
Want to go deeper? These are some of the books I discuss in the video:
The Art of Recording — William Moylan
Acoustics and Psychoacoustics — David M. Howard and James Angus
The Assistant Engineer's Handbook — Tim Crich
Audio in Media — Stanley R. Alten
Sound Reinforcement — Gary Davis and Ralph Jones
The Microphone Book — John Eargle
Of these, Sound Reinforcement is a particularly useful reference for anyone serious about live sound. Some of these titles are older editions, so check the edition and availability before purchasing.
You don't need to buy a stack of textbooks to get started, though. Begin with the fundamentals, practice what you learn, and keep asking questions.
Continue Your Live Sound 101 Journey
This introduction is just the beginning. I've brought the complete eight-video series together with a more comprehensive project guide so you can explore the subjects in one place.
Ready to go beyond the introduction?
👉 Visit the Live Sound 101 Project Page
There you'll find all eight videos and the accompanying project information to help you work through the material in more depth.
You can also visit the dedicated Live Sound 101 YouTube channel for more live audio content.
Whether you're brand new to the mixing console or you've been doing sound for years and want to fill in a few knowledge gaps, I hope this series helps you become more confident, capable, and intentional behind the board.
Bring your questions, keep your ears open, and let's make some great sound!