How To Split Wood 2.0 (Splitz-All)

How to Split Wood 2.0: Large Splitz-All vs. a Traditional Maul

Which is better for splitting firewood: the old-school maul or the Large Splitz-All?

I was about to find out!

After someone from Good N Useful Supply came across my original How to Split Wood video from 2011, they generously sent me a Large Splitz-All to try. Naturally, I had to bring this 35-pound beast over to my buddy Ben's house for a wood-splitting party.

Joining me for the experiment were my friends Ben, Hal, and Joel. None of us had used the Splitz-All before, so this was a real first-impressions test.

We'd unbox it, get our safety gear ready, compare it with a traditional maul, and see how this unusual tool performed. There might even be pizza involved.

Let's get splitting!

First Impressions: Unboxing the Large Splitz-All

The first thing I noticed was the weight. At around 35 pounds, the Large Splitz-All is a serious piece of equipment. It felt solid and well built, and I appreciated seeing a tool made in the USA.

The splitting motion is different from using a traditional maul. Instead of swinging a heavy maul overhead, you lift the Splitz-All's sliding hammer and drive it downward onto the splitting wedge.

That changes the whole experience. You're working with a controlled, guided motion rather than swinging a long-handled tool and hoping your aim is good.

Before heading to Ben's house, I grabbed steel-toe boots, eye protection, gloves, and hearing protection. The sliding hammer was louder than I expected, so protecting your hearing is a good idea. Always follow the manufacturer's safety instructions, work on stable wood, and keep everyone clear of the splitting area.

Splitz-All vs. Maul: The Side-by-Side Test

For the comparison, I used pieces of fresh oak that were as similar in size as I could manage. The footage was sped up to make the comparison easier to watch.

This was my first time using the Splitz-All, so I wasn't claiming to be an expert with either method. I wanted to see how the tools compared during an ordinary wood-splitting session.

Here's what stood out.

1. More Control

With the Splitz-All, I felt like I had more control over where the wedge landed. I could concentrate on the spot I wanted to split without making a full swinging motion.

In my test, I didn't have the same problem with missed swings that I sometimes experienced using a maul. Every attempt felt more deliberate.

2. Less Bending Over

This was one of the biggest advantages for me.

When a maul sends a piece of wood flying, you have to retrieve it, reset it on the chopping block, and get ready for another swing. That repeated bending and repositioning adds up over time.

The Splitz-All changed that process. I found myself spending less time chasing pieces of wood and resetting logs after each attempt.

3. The Splitz-Assist: A Little Feature That Makes a Difference

The Splitz-Assist chain and bungee arrangement was one of my favorite features.

It helps keep the tool positioned with the wood during the splitting process, reducing the need to repeatedly bend down and reposition things. For me, this was a major part of what made the overall process feel more efficient.

Sometimes it's the little details that make a tool worth considering.

Time for a Pizza Break!

After a little work, it was time for the important part of any wood-splitting party: lunch.

Pizza break!

Then it was back to work. Ben took a turn, followed by Hal and Joel. It was interesting watching everyone try the Splitz-All for the first time and seeing how they adapted to the different motion.

Joel may have been the youngest of our group, but he hung in there with the rest of us. Nice work, Joel!

My Verdict: Pros and Cons

After testing the Large Splitz-All alongside a traditional maul, here's my take.

The Pros

  • More control: I found it easier to direct the wedge toward the spot I wanted to split.

  • Fewer wasted attempts: In my test, the controlled motion meant fewer missed swings.

  • Less repetitive bending: I spent less time retrieving and repositioning pieces of wood.

  • Easier cleanup and stacking: The workflow felt more organized, with less wood flying in different directions.

  • Good overall efficiency: For the work I was doing, I found myself reaching for the Splitz-All more often.

The Cons

  • It's heavy: The Large model weighs about 35 pounds. Maneuvering it takes effort, and that weight won't suit everyone.

  • The motion feels different: I felt like I was exerting less overall force than with a traditional maul, even though the tool was effective for my test.

  • It takes some getting used to: If you're accustomed to swinging a maul, you'll need to adapt to the Splitz-All's sliding-hammer action.

The Splitz-All was available in different weight options, including 15-, 25-, and 35-pound versions when I made this video. Choosing a weight that you can handle safely is important; the heaviest option isn't automatically the best one.

And remember, different tools perform differently depending on the type, size, grain, and condition of the wood. My comparison was a hands-on test, not a controlled scientific experiment.

Check Out Good N Useful

Thanks to Good N Useful Supply for giving me the opportunity to try this tool and share my experience with you.


Final Thoughts

So, which would I choose: a traditional Splitting Maul or the Large Splitz-All?

For the wood I split during this test, I preferred the Splitz-All. I liked the additional control, the reduced bending, and the more organized workflow. The weight was the biggest drawback I could find.

That doesn't mean a traditional maul is obsolete. It's a familiar, versatile tool, and the right choice depends on your strength, the wood you're splitting, and your preferences.

But if you've ever found yourself chasing pieces of firewood around the yard or bending over after every swing, the Splitz-All is an interesting alternative to consider.

Thanks to Good N Useful Supply for sending me the tool, and thanks to Ben, Hal, and Joel for helping me put it through its paces.

If you know someone who loves splitting wood—or someone who absolutely hates it—share this video with them. Maybe the right tool can make the job a little more enjoyable!

I'm BigNate84. Thanks for watching!

— BigNate84

Practical How-Tos • DIY • Repair • Save Money!