Google+

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

How To Get Free HDTV




I am a cord cutter.  The only TV channels I watch are delivered to my home for free over the air.  I made this video because I talk to people every week that are unaware of this money saving alternative to cable & satellite.  To make this work all you need is an antenna, ATSC Digital Tuner and an HDTV.

In this video the ATSC digital tuner happens to be built into a DVD player.  However, today many new HDTV's have ATSC tuners built into them.  For example this 90" HDTV by Sharp comes with a tuner so all you need to do is connect an antenna directly to the TV.

Depending on where you live in the United States your channel selection will vary.  Over the air channels are broadcast digitally in high definition from your local TV stations.  If you're thinking about trying this in your home, I would recommend looking up the available channels in your area first.  AntennaWeb.org is a helpful resource that allows you to see what channels you can get based on location.

What's A Cord Cutter?
Technically I still have a "cord" coming into my home delivering a high speed internet connection.  But when you hear the term "cord cutter" it is usually referring to canceling cable TV service in order to save money.  Now-a-days there is an abundance of free media available for streaming online.  Do you really need to pay for cable?


No comments:

Post a Comment