Google+

Friday, January 11, 2013

Why The Name BigNate84?

"So I got to get up early in the morning"

I'm about 6'-4" and roughly 300 pounds.  I was born in the year of our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four.  Brilliant, I know.  The name came without much thought when I created my YouTube channel in 2006.  At the time I was enrolled in the Sound Recording Technology program at Umass Lowell.  My video production teacher, Keith Jones, assigned some homework that would introduce me to a new-fangled web site called YouTube.

The assignment was to create a YouTube account, produce a short video that was optimized for distribution on the internet and upload it to YouTube.  I believe the purpose of the assignment was to teach my video production class how to use QuickTime Compressor.  FYI- compression is used to squash a full quality video so that the file size is more manageable and more upload-able.  Back then YouTube was run by two guys in a garage somewhere in California so there were strict file size limits on all uploads.  The concept of free web hosting for videos was pretty groundbreaking.  At that time if you ran your own website with videos, bandwidth was a huge factor.  Basically videos hog up all your bandwidth.  YouTube was revolutionary because it allowed you to host high bandwidth videos externally for free and then embed them in your website.

Back to the homework assignment.  My very first upload was a music video of me lip-synching to the song "Early In the Morning" by The Gap Band.  Yeah.  Don't go searching for that video on my YouTube channel, I took it down a while back due to copyright infringement.  Once my channel was relaunched in 2011 with how-to videos I started monetizing.  That meant I had to make sure I owned all the pictures, music and video content featured in my uploads.  A screen shot from my first video has been attached for your entertainment.  That's how I got the name BigNate84.  Click here to see my first ever how-to video.  The video below will take you back to a point in history when YouTube was brand new, it's pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment